View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:18 pm

Tips for good shopping. 

Post Tips for good shopping.
Hey dear

Buying Loss Leaders and Leaving: Loss leaders are products that a company sells below or at cost to lure customers into the store.

Saying NO to the Extended Warranty: Stores play on the fact that electronics are a big investment, scaring you into buying an Extended Warranty. Don't do it

Shopping in the Store But Buying Online: Stores are just places where you can look at things you will later purchase for cheaper online. Look at your new laptop. Try it out. Ask questions. Buy online

Opening A Store Credit Card To Get A Discount, Then Cutting It Up: This is one from our dear Mommy. Mommy buys a bunch of stuff at once, opens the store credit card for the 20% discount, pays it off and cuts up the card. She did this every year when buying our school clothes. We're sure they hate her with the force of a 200 mega-ton bomb, but she still saved 20%.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:45 pm

Post Re: Tips for good shopping.
Hi
It has a mountain out back and, apparently, a mountain of debt.

Weeds and overgrown landscaping obscure a for-sale sign in the front of the foreclosed home northwest of Deer Valley and Cave Creek roads in north Phoenix.

"This one is not too bad," real-estate agent Gary Holloway of Zip Realty said of the long-vacant home. "They get no love."

The four-bedroom house, built in 2006 by Courtland Homes, is missing a dishwasher, refrigerator and built-in microwave oven. It also has some quarter-size holes in the kitchen wall. Otherwise, it appears to be in reasonably good condition.

The foreclosed home in the Eagle Bluff subdivision needs appliances, new carpeting and paint at a cost of at least $15,000. The two-story 3,182-square-foot home has a good view of one of the unnamed Union Hills beyond the back wall.

And it could be a good buy for a cautious buyer who knows what to look for in a foreclosure.

Listed at $210,000, the home was in escrow and could become yet another of the thousands of foreclosed Valley homes that buyers have acquired from banks.

Arizona had 21,442 foreclosed homes in the first quarter of this year, according to RealtyTrac.

The state has the nation's second-highest foreclosure rate behind Nevada, with one in every 49 homes with a mortgage receiving a foreclosure filing in the first quarter, according to RealtyTrac. That's triple the U.S. average.

Just fewer than half of Phoenix's 5,183 home sales in the first quarter were foreclosures, Zip Realty reported.

Thanks

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:39 pm
Profile WWW

Hi

# Always go with a list. If you go without a list, you may as well just throw your money away. Better yet, donate it to me — I probably need it more than you. :) Seriously, though, you need to prepare a list of everything you need, pulling from your weekly menu (next tip) and checking to make sure you don’t have it in your pantry, fridge or freezer. Make sure you’re not forgetting anything. Now stick to that list.
# Plan out a weekly menu. This is the best way to ensure that your list is complete, and that you have enough to serve your family dinner for the week. I often plan a weekly menu and then duplicate it for the next week — this way I can shop for two weeks at once. Be sure to plan a leftovers night.
# Don’t go when you’re hungry. This is a common tip, but it’s true: when you’re hungry, you want to buy all kinds of junk. You’ll end up spending a lot more. Eat a good meal first, and you’ll be more likely to stick to your list.
# Have a budget. When I go to the store, I know exactly how much I can spend. Then I try my best to stick within that limit. If you don’t know how much you can spend, you’ll certainly spend too much.
# Do a rough running tally. Related to the above tip, if you want to stay within your budget, it’s best to know where you’re at. Then, when you can see you’re going to go above it, you can decide whether you really need that 10-lb. box of bon bons. I keep a running tally on my grocery list, just rounding off so I can do some quick math. An item costs $1.85? I say $2. Then I don’t need a calculator or all those complicated math skills.

Thanks

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:42 pm

HI
Tips for good shopping.
Buying Loss Leaders and Leaving: Loss leaders are products that a company sells below or at cost to lure customers into the store.

Why They Hate It: They do not want you to waltz in, buy up all the loss leaders and leave. Often there are limits to how many of each you can buy, if you see something in the ad that says "limit 3 per customer" you may have found yourself a loss leader. Buy it and get the hell out.

Using Credit and Paying it Off on Time: Sometimes stores will offer a "6 months, no interest, no payments" offer on big ticket items. Pay it off on time, and you've used their money for free.

Why They Hate It: These offers are not just to help you buy stuff, it's to trick you into paying more for the item than if you had paid cash. Some people take the cash they would have used to buy the item and put it in a high yield savings account. Then they buy the item with credit and wait until 5.9 months later to pay it off. They've just used someone else's money for 6 months for free. Ha, ha, ha. These offers are dangerous, however, because if you miss a payment or don't pay the full balance off on time, you'll get socked with interest since your date of purchase. The rates are often outrageous, so this tip is only for seriously organized Type-A people.

Saying NO to the Extended Warranty: Stores play on the fact that electronics are a big investment, scaring you into buying an Extended Warranty. Don't do it.

Why They Hate It: The Extended Warranty is basically just a trick to get you to pay way more for the item than you need to. It's very, very, very profitable for the retailer. If you don't believe us, believe Consumer Reports. If you're worried about not having an extended warranty, purchase your electronics with a credit card that offers extended warranty protection. Lots of them do. Just paying for your crap with a credit card can double your warranty, so tell that sales clerk to get bent.

Thanks

Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Hi

Really great tips for shopping. Yes it is better to go for shopping with a plan and try to go always with a list of thing which you needed. Seriously it is very important to prepare yourself before go to shopping and I am agree on that point that you need to prepare a list of everything you need, pulling from your weekly menu (next tip) and checking to make sure you don’t have it in your pantry, fridge or freezer. Make sure you’re not forgetting anything. Thanks for sharing such useful post with us.

Diamond Tennis Bracelets | Women's Watches

Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:50 pm

Hi

Tips for good shopping.

Why They Hate It: They do not want you to waltz in, buy up all the loss leaders and leave. Often there are limits to how many of each you can buy, if you see something in the ad that says "limit 3 per customer" you may have found yourself a loss leader. Buy it and get the hell out.

Using Credit and Paying it Off on Time: Sometimes stores will offer a "6 months, no interest, no payments" offer on big ticket items. Pay it off on time, and you've used their money for free.

Why They Hate It: These offers are not just to help you buy stuff, it's to trick you into paying more for the item than if you had paid cash. Some people take the cash they would have used to buy the item and put it in a high yield savings account. Then they buy the item with credit and wait until 5.9 months later to pay it off. They've just used someone else's money for 6 months for free. Ha, ha, ha. These offers are dangerous, however, because if you miss a payment or don't pay the full balance off on time, you'll get socked with interest since your date of purchase. The rates are often outrageous, so this tip is only for seriously organized Type-A people.

Thanks

Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:40 pm
Profile WWW

Hi

Tie-dye created waves in the clothing industry in the 1970s. Even today, tie-dye is a popular technique of dying fabrics. Top designers use this process to display their inventiveness. The process of tie-dye involves crumpling, spinning, folding or pleating a fabric and fastening it with strings or rubber bands. After that, the designer uses one or more colors to dye the fabric. You can go wild in this process and stretch your imagination to create various patterns and designs. You could make tie-dye pants, shirts, skirts, scarves, beddings, dresses and baby garments among others.

Speaking about pants, there are several pants designed by using the tie-dye technique that are available in stores and designer shops. There are pants available for all ages and sizes including pants for men and women and boys and girls. You could just walk in to your favorite label or designer store and there are a few chances you will not find a tie-dye pant. You could choose colors that suit your personality and buy garments to add some fun and color to your wardrobe. You can even go over the Internet and check out the unlimited websites offering such pants. The variety of patterns and colors on display will amaze you. All you need to do is choose the color and have a look at the complete photograph of the pant. Then you select your size, the payment option and wait for the pant delivery right to your doorstep. If you belong to the category of people who derive pleasure in creating things, then you can make your own tie-dye pants in the comforts of your home. Various websites explain to you the entire tie-dye procedure and even give video demonstrations. If not the Internet, then you can buy books that will teach you the process and guide you as well. You can create a brand new pant from the old one that is gone out of style. You could get ready pants and tie-dye it as well. It is a great weekend activity. You could even convert it into a family activity. The pleasure and fulfillment you get at the end is immeasurable!

There are several tie-dye kits available in the market. You can just go and buy them or place an order for them over the Internet. These kits will help you make the pants with ease and comfort. They come with complete instructions, gloves, dyes, and rubber bands. You need all of them to complete the process. Alternatively, you can get the various materials needed from different sources. Many of these items are right inside your house.

Thanks

Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:48 am
Profile WWW

Hi

Saying NO to the Extended Warranty: Stores play on the fact that electronics are a big investment, scaring you into buying an Extended Warranty. Don't do it.

Thanks

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:12 am
Profile WWW

When going shopping,always prepare a list so that you know what exactly you want and not get ensnared to other offers you really don't want.
And another important tp is if you are unsure of something, don't buy it because you will probably end up regretting it.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi

Always go with a list. If you go without a list, you may as well just throw your money away. Better yet, donate it to me — I probably need it more than you. :) Seriously, though, you need to prepare a list of everything you need, pulling from your weekly menu (next tip) and checking to make sure you don’t have it in your pantry, fridge or freezer. Make sure you’re not forgetting anything. Now stick to that list.
Plan out a weekly menu. This is the best way to ensure that your list is complete, and that you have enough to serve your family dinner for the week. I often plan a weekly menu and then duplicate it for the next week — this way I can shop for two weeks at once. Be sure to plan a leftovers night.
Don’t go when you’re hungry. This is a common tip, but it’s true: when you’re hungry, you want to buy all kinds of junk. You’ll end up spending a lot more. Eat a good meal first, and you’ll be more likely to stick to your list.
# Have a budget. When I go to the store, I know exactly how much I can spend. Then I try my best to stick within that limit. If you don’t know how much you can spend, you’ll certainly spend too much.

Thanks

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:29 am
Profile WWW